Skip to main content

So I watched H.G Wells Time Machine and… whoa… I have thoughts

Thumbnail
I heard about the 2002 version but my grandad knows I like time travel movies, of which I’ve seen a bunch of them and he said to me: “You should watch HG Wells Time Machine movie from the 60’s” and I said: “Um… sure” and I couldn’t get a copy just out of nowhere and he didn’t have one on DVD but luckily enough there was the full movie on YouTube. It was like the literal 1 Hr 43 Min version uncut on YouTube and it was in color, fucking amazing. I’ve already watch the Back To The Future trilogy so I was like: “maybe it’s similar” and when the movie started it had a similar sequence to BTTF with a bunch of clocks floating around the screen like it was Twilight or some shit. At first I was trying to like it since it didn’t really have that time travel feel to it yet, it was just a bunch of guys in a mansion talking about dinner and then George comes through and he’s super beaten up and dirty and the movie does a flashback to a few days ago before the new century was about to begin. Anyway, bro makes a tiny prototype Time Machine and steals a cigar off of one of his friends and it actually time travels and they don’t believe him… like bruh, the Time Machine disappeared… wdym you don’t understand? Then George (the guy who made the Time Machine) asked his friend Filby if we wanted to see the full scale model and Filby doesn’t even believe him, like Filby WHAT DID YOU JUST WITNESS…? ITS REAL. Anyway he agrees to have dinner with him on the 5th of January in the new century but George actually gets in his Time Machine and travels 17 years into the future and his mansion is abandoned when he stops. I liked how in the movie, George meets his best friend’s son and he mentions how his father died in the war, it’s also weird to think about how George doesn’t even go back to save him, he just keeps going forward through time. He goes to 1944 and there’s planes and stuff since it’s WW2 and then he travels again to 1966 and apparently nuclear war has started since Filby Jr is still alive and he mentions the atomic satellite is zeroing in to destroy the city. It’s insane that in 1960 people thought nuclear war was going to actually happen but yeah I mean… totally can’t blame them right? So the city is destroyed and George is trapped in a cave for over 800,000 years until he reaches this dystopian future where everyone is eaten by these goblin creatures. Being real, the siren scene when the giant statue blares the nuclear sirens is actually so fucking creepy because everyone just walks into the cave without question. So anyway, George saves the day, rescues this girl he’s into or whatever and then he tries to go back because he’s stuck in the statue’s cave system and then goes back to Jan 5th 1900 to explain the story which comes full circle. HIS FRIENDS STILL DONT BELIEVE HIM… LIKE BRUHHHH… What bugs me the most is that he just goes back to the year 800000 to see his girl and Filby explains that he finally believes him but he says it to George’s servant and he notices three books were missing and then it just ends there… IT JUST ENDS… LIKE GEORGE, FILBY BELIEVES YOU NOW… YOU DONT HAVE TO ABANDON YOUR BEST FRIEND. The movie was actually so creepy for 1960 but it was insanely well done, I actually can’t believe how ahead of the cut it is too. Especially since they’re on par with technology and how they almost correctly predicted nuclear war. But the only thing that bugs me is how George just hates the time he is in so he goes back to 800000 to be with a girl who barely knows anything about the past. I mean yeah sure you can build a proper society with your knowledge but you just left Filby behind… like ughhhh… Anyway, wow… time travel movie was peak. submitted by /u/Master100017 [link] [comments]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So my wife’s going to a gala tonight — as her client’s “date.”

I’m 44 and my wife is 44. She works on an art advisory committee, so attending galas, events, and client meetings is part of her job. She often meets clients for coffee, lunch, or dinner, and I don’t always know the details and that’s completely normal because it’s part of her work. She’s always professional, transparent about her friendships, and I trust her judgment completely. Recently, she mentioned she’s going to a gala with a friend, S. He’s a wealthy client she met about a year ago, and they became friends professionally. She introduced me to him once, and he seems like a genuinely good person. He invited her as his “date” to this gala, and my wife said it’s fine. I did ask her though, if she’s actually going as a “date,” and she just laughed and said, “Date doesn’t always mean romantic.” She said it’s important for her she could get networking and meet new people. Then she smiled and said, “If I get into this gala next time, I won’t need to take that man with me, I’ll take you...

Update- My fiance’s “vows disaster” just hit rehearsal day & it got worse

For context- my fiance accidentally sent our officiant his draft vows, the one full of placeholders like “insert emotional stuff here” and “make her cry but not ugly cry”? Yeahhh. He promised he fixed them. But he did not. At the rehearsal, the officiant asked if he wanted to do a practice run. My man confidently steps up, opens his phone & starts reading the exact same draft. He gets halfway through “insert heartfelt memory here” before realizing, mid-sentence - what’s happening. The entire wedding party is trying not to lose it. Our officiant just sighed and said, “Well, at least you’re honest.” He is now rewriting his vows under supervision like it’s a school detention. The bridesmaids made him a folder titled “FINAL FINAL vows - DO NOT SCREW UP.docx.” If the ceremony goes anything like this rehearsal, I might livestream it for educational purposes. (And yes, I posted the original chaos on r/WeddingJokes — I feel like I owe them an update at this point)

The time I quit my job mid shift and walked out

Eight years ago I was working a customer service job that already had me burned out but one day my boss screamed at me in front of customers over something that wasn’t even my fault. Something in me just snapped. I took off my apron handed it to him and said “I’m done” Then I walked straight out the door and never looked back. Didn’t even go back for my final paycheck. It sounds impulsive but it was one of the most freeing empowering things I’ve ever done. Up until that moment I thought I had to just take it and that quitting mid shift was “unprofessional” But honestly that day taught me there’s a line between being dedicated and being disrespected. I was playing apex earlier and thought about how that single decision changed my whole mindset about self worth. It’s wild how one moment of courage can stick with you for nearly a decade. Still one of the best choices I’ve ever made.