Skip to main content

My dad ate alone for 23 years. I thought he didn't like eating with us.

Thumbnail
I'm 29M. Writing this at 1:47 AM because I just came back from my village. My dad was a farmer. All my life, he never ate with us. My mom, me, my little sister — we would eat together. And he would sit outside, or in the corner, and eat after we were done. As a kid I asked him once, "Papa, aap hamare sath kyun nahi khate?" He just said, "Tum log khao. Mujhe bhookh nahi hai." I started thinking he just liked being alone. Or he didn't like us. I don't know. I was angry for a long time. When I got a job in the city, I stopped going home much. Maybe 2 times a year. Every time I called, mom would say, "Papa ne pucha tha, khana time pe kha raha hai?" That was it. Always about food. He died 2 months ago. Heart attack in the fields. Last week I went home. Mom was cleaning his almirah. She gave me his old steel plate. It was so small. Like a child's plate. I said, "Itna chhota plate Papa kaise use karte the?" My mom looked at me and started crying. She said, "Beta, wo isiliye akela khata tha. Taki tum logon ko kam na pade. Jab tum chhote the, ghar me kabhi kabhi sabzi kam pad jati thi. Wo kehta tha - pehle bachchon ka pet bhar jaye. Jo bachega main kha lunga. Kabhi bacha hi nahi to ek roti aur paani pee ke so jata tha. Usne tumhe kabhi bataya nahi." 23 years. 23 years I thought my father was distant. He was just hungry. So that we never had to be. Last night I ate alone. I took his small steel plate. I put one extra roti on my plate and left it there. For him. submitted by /u/shahroz_aslam_ [link] [comments]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So my wife’s going to a gala tonight — as her client’s “date.”

I’m 44 and my wife is 44. She works on an art advisory committee, so attending galas, events, and client meetings is part of her job. She often meets clients for coffee, lunch, or dinner, and I don’t always know the details and that’s completely normal because it’s part of her work. She’s always professional, transparent about her friendships, and I trust her judgment completely. Recently, she mentioned she’s going to a gala with a friend, S. He’s a wealthy client she met about a year ago, and they became friends professionally. She introduced me to him once, and he seems like a genuinely good person. He invited her as his “date” to this gala, and my wife said it’s fine. I did ask her though, if she’s actually going as a “date,” and she just laughed and said, “Date doesn’t always mean romantic.” She said it’s important for her she could get networking and meet new people. Then she smiled and said, “If I get into this gala next time, I won’t need to take that man with me, I’ll take you...

Update- My fiance’s “vows disaster” just hit rehearsal day & it got worse

For context- my fiance accidentally sent our officiant his draft vows, the one full of placeholders like “insert emotional stuff here” and “make her cry but not ugly cry”? Yeahhh. He promised he fixed them. But he did not. At the rehearsal, the officiant asked if he wanted to do a practice run. My man confidently steps up, opens his phone & starts reading the exact same draft. He gets halfway through “insert heartfelt memory here” before realizing, mid-sentence - what’s happening. The entire wedding party is trying not to lose it. Our officiant just sighed and said, “Well, at least you’re honest.” He is now rewriting his vows under supervision like it’s a school detention. The bridesmaids made him a folder titled “FINAL FINAL vows - DO NOT SCREW UP.docx.” If the ceremony goes anything like this rehearsal, I might livestream it for educational purposes. (And yes, I posted the original chaos on r/WeddingJokes — I feel like I owe them an update at this point)

The time I quit my job mid shift and walked out

Eight years ago I was working a customer service job that already had me burned out but one day my boss screamed at me in front of customers over something that wasn’t even my fault. Something in me just snapped. I took off my apron handed it to him and said “I’m done” Then I walked straight out the door and never looked back. Didn’t even go back for my final paycheck. It sounds impulsive but it was one of the most freeing empowering things I’ve ever done. Up until that moment I thought I had to just take it and that quitting mid shift was “unprofessional” But honestly that day taught me there’s a line between being dedicated and being disrespected. I was playing apex earlier and thought about how that single decision changed my whole mindset about self worth. It’s wild how one moment of courage can stick with you for nearly a decade. Still one of the best choices I’ve ever made.