Skip to main content

I wrote my coworker a note on a coffee cup. Three months later, I found out who'd been writing back.

Thumbnail
I'm 28, and I work in a boring office in a boring building. Nothing exciting ever happens to me. Until a few months ago. One Monday morning, I was in the office kitchen making coffee. I had a bad weekend and a worse mood. On a whim, I took a marker and wrote on my paper cup: "If you're reading this, I hope your day is better than mine." I left the cup next to the sink and went back to my desk, feeling a little silly. The next day, I found a paper cup on my desk. Same style, different handwriting. It said: "It was. Thanks for the push. Hope yours gets better too." I stared at it for a full minute. Then I smiled for the first time in days. So I wrote back. And they wrote back. For weeks, we left cups for each other, always a few words, never a name. Small things like: "Favorite thing about rainy days?" "The sound. And not feeling guilty about staying in. You?" "Cold pizza for breakfast. Judge me." "No judgment. I do the same." I started coming in early just to check my desk. I bought a new marker. I caught myself getting dressed with more care, like the person might be watching. Maybe they were. I had no idea who it was. The office has about 60 people. I started looking at everyone differently. Was it Dave from accounting? Priya from design? The quiet guy who always wore headphones? Last Friday, the cup said something different: "I think I'm falling for someone I've never properly met. This is scary. Can I take you for a real coffee? Tomorrow, 10 AM, the café across the street. I'll be at the window table. If you don't come, I'll understand." I didn't sleep that night. What if it was someone I didn't like? What if it was a joke? What if it was perfect? Saturday morning, I stood outside that café for ten minutes, heart pounding. Then I took a breath and walked in. At the window table sat a man holding a paper cup, turning it nervously in his hands. I knew him immediately. Daniel, from the third floor. The guy who always held the elevator for me and never said more than "Morning." He looked up, went red, and said, "Hi. I'm the one who bought the marker." I laughed so hard I almost cried. I pulled out the first cup I'd ever written on, the one I'd secretly kept, and put it on the table. "I know," I said. "I've been hoping it was you." (I hadn't known. But I'm so glad it was.) We talked for four hours. The coffee went cold. Neither of us cared. EDIT: Wow, thank you all for the kind comments! Yes, we're still talking. We had our third date last night. Daniel wrote "Dinner?" on a cup this morning, and I'm saying yes. submitted by /u/shahroz_aslam_ [link] [comments]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So my wife’s going to a gala tonight — as her client’s “date.”

I’m 44 and my wife is 44. She works on an art advisory committee, so attending galas, events, and client meetings is part of her job. She often meets clients for coffee, lunch, or dinner, and I don’t always know the details and that’s completely normal because it’s part of her work. She’s always professional, transparent about her friendships, and I trust her judgment completely. Recently, she mentioned she’s going to a gala with a friend, S. He’s a wealthy client she met about a year ago, and they became friends professionally. She introduced me to him once, and he seems like a genuinely good person. He invited her as his “date” to this gala, and my wife said it’s fine. I did ask her though, if she’s actually going as a “date,” and she just laughed and said, “Date doesn’t always mean romantic.” She said it’s important for her she could get networking and meet new people. Then she smiled and said, “If I get into this gala next time, I won’t need to take that man with me, I’ll take you...

Update- My fiance’s “vows disaster” just hit rehearsal day & it got worse

For context- my fiance accidentally sent our officiant his draft vows, the one full of placeholders like “insert emotional stuff here” and “make her cry but not ugly cry”? Yeahhh. He promised he fixed them. But he did not. At the rehearsal, the officiant asked if he wanted to do a practice run. My man confidently steps up, opens his phone & starts reading the exact same draft. He gets halfway through “insert heartfelt memory here” before realizing, mid-sentence - what’s happening. The entire wedding party is trying not to lose it. Our officiant just sighed and said, “Well, at least you’re honest.” He is now rewriting his vows under supervision like it’s a school detention. The bridesmaids made him a folder titled “FINAL FINAL vows - DO NOT SCREW UP.docx.” If the ceremony goes anything like this rehearsal, I might livestream it for educational purposes. (And yes, I posted the original chaos on r/WeddingJokes — I feel like I owe them an update at this point)

The time I quit my job mid shift and walked out

Eight years ago I was working a customer service job that already had me burned out but one day my boss screamed at me in front of customers over something that wasn’t even my fault. Something in me just snapped. I took off my apron handed it to him and said “I’m done” Then I walked straight out the door and never looked back. Didn’t even go back for my final paycheck. It sounds impulsive but it was one of the most freeing empowering things I’ve ever done. Up until that moment I thought I had to just take it and that quitting mid shift was “unprofessional” But honestly that day taught me there’s a line between being dedicated and being disrespected. I was playing apex earlier and thought about how that single decision changed my whole mindset about self worth. It’s wild how one moment of courage can stick with you for nearly a decade. Still one of the best choices I’ve ever made.