Skip to main content

I never told my wife I knew about the letters. Ten years later, she finally did. I found them in the attic while

Thumbnail
I found them in the attic while looking for Christmas lights. Dozens of envelopes tied with a faded blue ribbon, all addressed to her in handwriting I didn't recognize. The postmarks were from the year before we met. I didn't open them. I sat on the dusty floor and held them for a long time, trying to decide who I was going to be in that moment. The man who asks questions, or the man who lets people keep their own secrets. I chose silence. Every birthday after that, I watched her a little closer. She'd sometimes go quiet on the anniversary of her mother's death. She'd sit by the window with a cup of tea that went cold. I told myself it was grief, and maybe it was. Last Sunday she came into the kitchen holding one envelope, the ribbon already untied. "I think you should know something," she said. Her voice was steady, but her hands weren't. She had written those letters to her first love, a boy who left for the army and never came back. She had never sent them. She'd kept them for years, too afraid to let go and too stubborn to throw them away. Then she said the thing that broke me: "I kept them because I didn't want to forget how it felt to be loved like that. But I chose you. Every single day, I chose you." I've read those letters now, all of them. They're full of a girl who was hurting and hoping. I don't feel jealous anymore. I feel grateful that she trusted me enough to finally tell me. We sat on the kitchen floor until the sun came up. Some secrets aren't meant to hurt. Some are just the heavy parts of a life we haven't learned how to share yet. Edit: Thanks for all the kind messages. Some of you asked what happened to the letters. We read them together, and then we burned them in the backyard fire pit. It felt like the right way to say goodbye to that version of her, and to say hello to the one sitting beside me now submitted by /u/shahroz_aslam_ [link] [comments]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So my wife’s going to a gala tonight — as her client’s “date.”

I’m 44 and my wife is 44. She works on an art advisory committee, so attending galas, events, and client meetings is part of her job. She often meets clients for coffee, lunch, or dinner, and I don’t always know the details and that’s completely normal because it’s part of her work. She’s always professional, transparent about her friendships, and I trust her judgment completely. Recently, she mentioned she’s going to a gala with a friend, S. He’s a wealthy client she met about a year ago, and they became friends professionally. She introduced me to him once, and he seems like a genuinely good person. He invited her as his “date” to this gala, and my wife said it’s fine. I did ask her though, if she’s actually going as a “date,” and she just laughed and said, “Date doesn’t always mean romantic.” She said it’s important for her she could get networking and meet new people. Then she smiled and said, “If I get into this gala next time, I won’t need to take that man with me, I’ll take you...

Update- My fiance’s “vows disaster” just hit rehearsal day & it got worse

For context- my fiance accidentally sent our officiant his draft vows, the one full of placeholders like “insert emotional stuff here” and “make her cry but not ugly cry”? Yeahhh. He promised he fixed them. But he did not. At the rehearsal, the officiant asked if he wanted to do a practice run. My man confidently steps up, opens his phone & starts reading the exact same draft. He gets halfway through “insert heartfelt memory here” before realizing, mid-sentence - what’s happening. The entire wedding party is trying not to lose it. Our officiant just sighed and said, “Well, at least you’re honest.” He is now rewriting his vows under supervision like it’s a school detention. The bridesmaids made him a folder titled “FINAL FINAL vows - DO NOT SCREW UP.docx.” If the ceremony goes anything like this rehearsal, I might livestream it for educational purposes. (And yes, I posted the original chaos on r/WeddingJokes — I feel like I owe them an update at this point)

The time I quit my job mid shift and walked out

Eight years ago I was working a customer service job that already had me burned out but one day my boss screamed at me in front of customers over something that wasn’t even my fault. Something in me just snapped. I took off my apron handed it to him and said “I’m done” Then I walked straight out the door and never looked back. Didn’t even go back for my final paycheck. It sounds impulsive but it was one of the most freeing empowering things I’ve ever done. Up until that moment I thought I had to just take it and that quitting mid shift was “unprofessional” But honestly that day taught me there’s a line between being dedicated and being disrespected. I was playing apex earlier and thought about how that single decision changed my whole mindset about self worth. It’s wild how one moment of courage can stick with you for nearly a decade. Still one of the best choices I’ve ever made.