Skip to main content

The House at the End of the Street

Thumbnail
There's an old house at the very end of my street. Nobody knows exactly how old it is. Some say it was already standing when their grandparents were young. The strangest thing about it isn't the house. It's what people say happened there. Every evening, without fail, the house used to come alive. Cars would arrive just before sunset. Men in expensive suits would walk through the front door carrying bottles of whiskey. Cigarette smoke would pour from the windows. Someone was always laughing. There was food everywhere. Expensive food. Loud conversations. Music. And apparently, the parties lasted all night. My grandfather once told me, "That house never slept." Then, one day, it stopped. No announcement. No goodbye. The cars stopped coming. The lights disappeared. The windows stayed dark. Decades passed. The house remained standing at the end of the street, enormous and silent, like it was waiting for someone who had forgotten to come back. Last week, I walked past it with my grandfather. I asked him, "Who lived there?" He stared at the house for a long time. Then he said, "Nobody." I laughed. "What do you mean? You just told me about the parties." He nodded. "I remember the parties." "Then who hosted them?" He nodded. "I remember the parties." "Then who hosted them?" He looked at me. His face had gone completely serious. "That's the problem." I waited. He whispered: "Every evening, we could hear them. But nobody in this neighborhood ever saw a single person leave that house." submitted by /u/Disastrous-Layer-202 [link] [comments]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So my wife’s going to a gala tonight — as her client’s “date.”

I’m 44 and my wife is 44. She works on an art advisory committee, so attending galas, events, and client meetings is part of her job. She often meets clients for coffee, lunch, or dinner, and I don’t always know the details and that’s completely normal because it’s part of her work. She’s always professional, transparent about her friendships, and I trust her judgment completely. Recently, she mentioned she’s going to a gala with a friend, S. He’s a wealthy client she met about a year ago, and they became friends professionally. She introduced me to him once, and he seems like a genuinely good person. He invited her as his “date” to this gala, and my wife said it’s fine. I did ask her though, if she’s actually going as a “date,” and she just laughed and said, “Date doesn’t always mean romantic.” She said it’s important for her she could get networking and meet new people. Then she smiled and said, “If I get into this gala next time, I won’t need to take that man with me, I’ll take you...

Update- My fiance’s “vows disaster” just hit rehearsal day & it got worse

For context- my fiance accidentally sent our officiant his draft vows, the one full of placeholders like “insert emotional stuff here” and “make her cry but not ugly cry”? Yeahhh. He promised he fixed them. But he did not. At the rehearsal, the officiant asked if he wanted to do a practice run. My man confidently steps up, opens his phone & starts reading the exact same draft. He gets halfway through “insert heartfelt memory here” before realizing, mid-sentence - what’s happening. The entire wedding party is trying not to lose it. Our officiant just sighed and said, “Well, at least you’re honest.” He is now rewriting his vows under supervision like it’s a school detention. The bridesmaids made him a folder titled “FINAL FINAL vows - DO NOT SCREW UP.docx.” If the ceremony goes anything like this rehearsal, I might livestream it for educational purposes. (And yes, I posted the original chaos on r/WeddingJokes — I feel like I owe them an update at this point)

The time I quit my job mid shift and walked out

Eight years ago I was working a customer service job that already had me burned out but one day my boss screamed at me in front of customers over something that wasn’t even my fault. Something in me just snapped. I took off my apron handed it to him and said “I’m done” Then I walked straight out the door and never looked back. Didn’t even go back for my final paycheck. It sounds impulsive but it was one of the most freeing empowering things I’ve ever done. Up until that moment I thought I had to just take it and that quitting mid shift was “unprofessional” But honestly that day taught me there’s a line between being dedicated and being disrespected. I was playing apex earlier and thought about how that single decision changed my whole mindset about self worth. It’s wild how one moment of courage can stick with you for nearly a decade. Still one of the best choices I’ve ever made.