Skip to main content

Susan Hot

Thumbnail
So you know how Thai restaurants usually have a scale of heat for when you order? Usually ranging from “mild” to “Thai-hot.” Years ago after getting COVID and losing my sense of taste I turned to excessively spicy foods. I built up my tolerance to the point I usually have to ask someone to taste my cooking before I serve it or else I’ll be at the table happily eating while my dinner guests are gasping for breath. So going to a Thai place I always ask for my food “extra Thai hot.” Well one night when trying a new place I asked my server how hot they could make my meal and the server says to me as his face shifts to empathetically dreadful concern “We have a secret spice level named after our owner, Susan. It’s ‘Susan hot.’’’ So ask for my phat phrik khing “Susan hot.” My sever reminds me that there will be no refund if I do not like it and walks to the kitchen to put in my order. I anxiously wait for my meal. At some point the ventilation hoods in the kitchen can no longer contain the aroma of the absurd amount of chilies frying in some unseen wok. My eyes begin to water. I hear coughing from the kitchen. A patron comments on the hellish smell as she grabs her to-go order from the host stand. Before my mind can calculate the pain my body was beginning to endure the server places my dish in front me; it’s covered with a steel lid while my fellow table-mates’ dishes are open. My friends are given small bowls with perfect little mounds of jasmine rice; I am given a mixing bowl full of rice. I place my hand on the steel lid and glance at my compatriots as they shuffle their chairs as far away as the diminutive table will allow. I lift the cover and am instantly hit with the pungent humidity of what I would later name “Weaponized Pork.” The sauce is not the usual amber hue. The sauce is not red. The sauce is dark brown. Before I can even get to the sauce I have to contend with a liberal dusting of coarse ground chili powder. I take my first mouthful; a slice of rich pork, a wilted leaf of basil, and a tender yet toothsome green bean. I am immediately hit struck by the flavor. More so a lack thereof. I do not taste the familiar embrace of the vibrant coriander, the citral lemongrass, or the funky fish sauce. I get no subtle sweetness. Damnit, I cannot even taste the pork. This meal is different. It eschews flavor and texture and assaults the senses with an immediate and expanding inferno. I take my second bite. I take my third bite. Then the fourth and fifth. I am not aware of my surroundings. The ones I love blur from my vision. I o to see shapes and motion. I can barely remember my own name. An opiate-like high overcomes my faculties devoid of any euphoria. The sixth bite makes way for the seventh. I begin to see the metallic bottom of my bucket of rice. Eighth bite. Then the ninth. I begin to shovel food-like substance into my mouth. Every time my mouth opens, a fresh gust of oxygen hits my squishy mouthparts, generating an oral-backdraft that only intensifies the flames within my toothy crucible. My rice is gone. My cup runneth empty. I drink from my friends cup; the diet cola cannot smother the heat. Eventually, I prevail. I somehow manage to chew and swallow my last bites. The food is gone but the fire remains. I may have finished my meal but I was defeated. I did not enjoy a single moment of my mastication and I escaped from hell a lesser man. My server appears to me as if formed from the haze within my vision. He says some words to me. I say some words back. He goes out to the front step and talks to the old woman chain-smoking Marlboros. She rests her still smoldering cigarette, and joins the server as he walks inside. She greets me at my table and introduces herself “Hello, I am Susan.” She asks if I enjoyed my meal. I lie and tell her “yes it was great.” She thanks me and my party and strolls away to the front step again to reunite with her cigarette. My friends pack their food away in containers. My server brings us all separate checks. My bill was $22.37. The monetary cost for “Susan Hot.” submitted by /u/Prince_Breakfast [link] [comments]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So my wife’s going to a gala tonight — as her client’s “date.”

I’m 44 and my wife is 44. She works on an art advisory committee, so attending galas, events, and client meetings is part of her job. She often meets clients for coffee, lunch, or dinner, and I don’t always know the details and that’s completely normal because it’s part of her work. She’s always professional, transparent about her friendships, and I trust her judgment completely. Recently, she mentioned she’s going to a gala with a friend, S. He’s a wealthy client she met about a year ago, and they became friends professionally. She introduced me to him once, and he seems like a genuinely good person. He invited her as his “date” to this gala, and my wife said it’s fine. I did ask her though, if she’s actually going as a “date,” and she just laughed and said, “Date doesn’t always mean romantic.” She said it’s important for her she could get networking and meet new people. Then she smiled and said, “If I get into this gala next time, I won’t need to take that man with me, I’ll take you...

Update- My fiance’s “vows disaster” just hit rehearsal day & it got worse

For context- my fiance accidentally sent our officiant his draft vows, the one full of placeholders like “insert emotional stuff here” and “make her cry but not ugly cry”? Yeahhh. He promised he fixed them. But he did not. At the rehearsal, the officiant asked if he wanted to do a practice run. My man confidently steps up, opens his phone & starts reading the exact same draft. He gets halfway through “insert heartfelt memory here” before realizing, mid-sentence - what’s happening. The entire wedding party is trying not to lose it. Our officiant just sighed and said, “Well, at least you’re honest.” He is now rewriting his vows under supervision like it’s a school detention. The bridesmaids made him a folder titled “FINAL FINAL vows - DO NOT SCREW UP.docx.” If the ceremony goes anything like this rehearsal, I might livestream it for educational purposes. (And yes, I posted the original chaos on r/WeddingJokes — I feel like I owe them an update at this point)

The time I quit my job mid shift and walked out

Eight years ago I was working a customer service job that already had me burned out but one day my boss screamed at me in front of customers over something that wasn’t even my fault. Something in me just snapped. I took off my apron handed it to him and said “I’m done” Then I walked straight out the door and never looked back. Didn’t even go back for my final paycheck. It sounds impulsive but it was one of the most freeing empowering things I’ve ever done. Up until that moment I thought I had to just take it and that quitting mid shift was “unprofessional” But honestly that day taught me there’s a line between being dedicated and being disrespected. I was playing apex earlier and thought about how that single decision changed my whole mindset about self worth. It’s wild how one moment of courage can stick with you for nearly a decade. Still one of the best choices I’ve ever made.