
I live alone. I've lived alone for almost two years, and until last Tuesday, I'd never had a reason to feel unsafe in my apartment. Last Tuesday, I came home from work at around 6:30 PM. Nothing seemed unusual. I made dinner, watched TV, took a shower, and went to bed. The next morning, I checked my security camera because I was expecting a package. That's when I noticed something strange. There was a recording from 2:14 AM. The camera showed me unlocking my front door. I watched the video twice. It was definitely me. Same clothes I had worn that evening. Same backpack. Same face. The person walked inside, closed the door, and stood there for almost ten seconds. Then they looked directly at the camera. And smiled. I immediately checked my bedroom. Nothing. I checked the locks. Everything was locked. I told myself it was some kind of recording glitch. Then I noticed the timestamp. The footage was from 2:14 AM. I had been asleep in my bed at 2:14 AM. I know because my phone automatically tracks my sleep. I started going through the previous night's footage. At 6:31 PM, there was a recording of me coming home. The real one. So there were two recordings. Two versions of me entering my apartment. I called the security company. They told me the camera hadn't malfunctioned. The footage was authentic. That night, I stayed at a friend's house. At around midnight, I opened the camera app. There was a new motion alert. Front door. I watched the live feed. My apartment was empty. Then I saw movement. Someone walked past the camera. I couldn't see their face. But I knew who it was. It was me. I called the police. They checked my apartment and found nothing. The officer even joked that I should change my password. I didn't find it funny. The next morning, I went back home. Everything looked normal. Except for one thing. There was a photograph sitting on my kitchen table. It was a picture of me sleeping. Taken from the foot of my bed. I called the police again. They searched the entire apartment. Nothing. No hidden cameras. No fingerprints. No signs anyone had broken in. The officer told me I should probably stay somewhere else for a few days. So I did. I'm writing this from a hotel. I haven't been back to my apartment since. But about twenty minutes ago, I received a notification from my security camera. Motion detected. I opened the app. The live feed showed my apartment. The front door slowly opened. And I watched myself walk inside. This time, the person wasn't smiling. They were carrying something. I zoomed in. It was a photograph. A photograph of me sitting here in this hotel room. And then my phone received one final notification. Camera disconnected. I don't know how they found me. I don't know how they knew where I was. But there's one thing I can't stop thinking about. The person on the camera wasn't looking at the camera this time. They were looking directly at me. Through the screen. submitted by /u/goddessmiller7 [link] [comments]
Comments