Skip to main content

I started spending my lunch breaks in an old cemetery to escape my job. Yesterday, I realized someone has been leaving letters specifically for me.

Thumbnail
My office is right next to St. Jude’s—a 19th-century cemetery hidden behind an overgrown iron fence. Six months ago, burned out from staring at spreadsheets, I started sneaking in during my 45-minute lunch break. It was quiet, peaceful, and the only place nearby where no one asked me for anything. Eventually, I picked a spot: an old, flat mossy headstone tucked under an enormous oak tree, completely hidden from the main walking path. The tombstone belonged to a man named Arthur, who died in 1894. For months, it was just my secret spot. I’d eat my sandwich, listen to music, and enjoy the silence. Three weeks ago, I noticed something odd. A tiny, weathered stone was sitting on top of Arthur’s headstone, holding down a folded piece of yellowed paper. Curious, I opened it. Written in black ink was a single line: *"The noise outside the gate never changes, but the silence in here is always different."* I figured it was just poetry left by another quiet visitor or someone visiting a nearby grave. But out of impulse, I grabbed a pen from my pocket and wrote on the back: *"True. It's the only place I can hear myself think."* I folded it back up, put the rock on top, and left. The next day at lunch, the note was gone. In its place was a fresh piece of paper: *"You sit on Arthur's side today. He doesn't mind, but the oak tree casts better shade two graves to the left."* My stomach did a quick flip. Someone wasn't just dropping notes randomly. They were watching me. For the past two weeks, we’ve been passing notes back and forth. The stranger never meets me in person, but they know things. They commented on the red jacket I wore on Tuesday. They left a recommended book title on Thursday. Yesterday, they left a tiny pocket knife with a note saying, *"For the overgrown ivy on Arthur's name."* I went back today with a note asking who they were and why they were hiding. When I reached the oak tree, there was no paper under the rock. Instead, written directly in the damp soil beside Arthur’s grave, carved fresh with a stick, were four words: *"Look up. Branch three."* I looked straight up into the dense leaves of the old oak tree. Sitting thirty feet up on a thick branch, dangling their legs in the air with a notebook in their lap, was a girl in a dark green jacket, waving down at me with a quiet smile. submitted by /u/Disastrous-Layer-202 [link] [comments]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So my wife’s going to a gala tonight — as her client’s “date.”

I’m 44 and my wife is 44. She works on an art advisory committee, so attending galas, events, and client meetings is part of her job. She often meets clients for coffee, lunch, or dinner, and I don’t always know the details and that’s completely normal because it’s part of her work. She’s always professional, transparent about her friendships, and I trust her judgment completely. Recently, she mentioned she’s going to a gala with a friend, S. He’s a wealthy client she met about a year ago, and they became friends professionally. She introduced me to him once, and he seems like a genuinely good person. He invited her as his “date” to this gala, and my wife said it’s fine. I did ask her though, if she’s actually going as a “date,” and she just laughed and said, “Date doesn’t always mean romantic.” She said it’s important for her she could get networking and meet new people. Then she smiled and said, “If I get into this gala next time, I won’t need to take that man with me, I’ll take you...

Update- My fiance’s “vows disaster” just hit rehearsal day & it got worse

For context- my fiance accidentally sent our officiant his draft vows, the one full of placeholders like “insert emotional stuff here” and “make her cry but not ugly cry”? Yeahhh. He promised he fixed them. But he did not. At the rehearsal, the officiant asked if he wanted to do a practice run. My man confidently steps up, opens his phone & starts reading the exact same draft. He gets halfway through “insert heartfelt memory here” before realizing, mid-sentence - what’s happening. The entire wedding party is trying not to lose it. Our officiant just sighed and said, “Well, at least you’re honest.” He is now rewriting his vows under supervision like it’s a school detention. The bridesmaids made him a folder titled “FINAL FINAL vows - DO NOT SCREW UP.docx.” If the ceremony goes anything like this rehearsal, I might livestream it for educational purposes. (And yes, I posted the original chaos on r/WeddingJokes — I feel like I owe them an update at this point)

The time I quit my job mid shift and walked out

Eight years ago I was working a customer service job that already had me burned out but one day my boss screamed at me in front of customers over something that wasn’t even my fault. Something in me just snapped. I took off my apron handed it to him and said “I’m done” Then I walked straight out the door and never looked back. Didn’t even go back for my final paycheck. It sounds impulsive but it was one of the most freeing empowering things I’ve ever done. Up until that moment I thought I had to just take it and that quitting mid shift was “unprofessional” But honestly that day taught me there’s a line between being dedicated and being disrespected. I was playing apex earlier and thought about how that single decision changed my whole mindset about self worth. It’s wild how one moment of courage can stick with you for nearly a decade. Still one of the best choices I’ve ever made.