Skip to main content

I almost died. This was my experience

Thumbnail
In April, I got a cold. For weeks after, I had a horrible cough. I’d have coughing fits that would cause me to vomit, I’d be unable to laugh without coughing, it went on and on. But otherwise, I felt fine. This went on for over a month. Until the end of May. I went to work that week, coughed so hard I pulled the muscles in my ribcage, and left. I’d had asthma as a kid, hadn’t been making the healthiest choices lately, it was just catching up to me and all I needed to do was rest and change some habits.

I woke up the next morning, felt like every joint in my body had made it their life mission to make me suffer. I don’t even own a thermometer but when I got into my car and the dash said it was 100 degrees and I was shivering in a sweatshirt, I knew I was in for it. I got cold and flu medicine, pedialyte, ate even though I had no appetite.

This lasted for less than a day.
I dragged myself to bed that night, an emergency OTC inhaler next to me because I hadn’t had a prescription in almost 20 years.
I woke up at 4am, wheezing, I could feel the mucus in my lungs. I ran a hot shower, the oldest trick in the book. I laid on the floor, not caring about how gross it probably was. I remember trying not to fall asleep, listening to the water fall around me. I pulled myself out, went back to bed.

An hour later, I woke up and the air was gone. Like trying to breathe through one of those coffee stirrers from the gas station. I did breathing exercises while I walked to my car and I remember thinking how nice a coffee would be, that a coffee almost always fixes everything for me. I drove myself to the ER across the street. The thought to call for help never crossed my mind. Maybe I’ve been too independent for too long. The sun was coming up and I wanted to stop, wanted to sit a moment in it, but I knew I was dying, on some instinctual level. I pulled into the ER less than 5 minutes after I woke up, walked inside and told them I couldn’t breathe.

Immediately, I was poked and prodded. The second the breathing treatment started I remember thinking that I would never take air for granted. I wanted to go outside, I wanted to stand in the rain or on the beach. I thought about the pier my friends and I used to walk down in the middle of the night in college, the sound of the ocean around us. I thought about my roommates, going on drives with the windows down, my sunroof open. I thought about standing out in the rain, the hike I’d been meaning to go on but kept pushing off. I thought about my homemade cinnamon rolls, how I didn’t make them much because it took too much time. At least I’d had time.

I had pneumonia, had an asthma attack for the first time in decades, and was septic. My lungs were failing, I was being deprived of oxygen. My lips were blue, though I didn’t realize until I looked back at pictures that had been taken. I didn’t want to go to the hospital because I don’t have insurance, but as every blood test came back I realized that I would’ve died that day if I hadn’t. When I left the hospital, I put myself to bed under my favorite quilt, turned on my favorite song. It was raining that day. I couldn’t stand out in it, but I laid closer to the window and watched it fall.

Ever since, I’ve woken up earlier, texted old friends. I’ve worn clothes I hated because they didn’t “look good”, watched movies I kept meaning to watch, sat out and watched the birds. Every breath has been a gift that I plan on using everyday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So my wife’s going to a gala tonight — as her client’s “date.”

I’m 44 and my wife is 44. She works on an art advisory committee, so attending galas, events, and client meetings is part of her job. She often meets clients for coffee, lunch, or dinner, and I don’t always know the details and that’s completely normal because it’s part of her work. She’s always professional, transparent about her friendships, and I trust her judgment completely. Recently, she mentioned she’s going to a gala with a friend, S. He’s a wealthy client she met about a year ago, and they became friends professionally. She introduced me to him once, and he seems like a genuinely good person. He invited her as his “date” to this gala, and my wife said it’s fine. I did ask her though, if she’s actually going as a “date,” and she just laughed and said, “Date doesn’t always mean romantic.” She said it’s important for her she could get networking and meet new people. Then she smiled and said, “If I get into this gala next time, I won’t need to take that man with me, I’ll take you...

Update- My fiance’s “vows disaster” just hit rehearsal day & it got worse

For context- my fiance accidentally sent our officiant his draft vows, the one full of placeholders like “insert emotional stuff here” and “make her cry but not ugly cry”? Yeahhh. He promised he fixed them. But he did not. At the rehearsal, the officiant asked if he wanted to do a practice run. My man confidently steps up, opens his phone & starts reading the exact same draft. He gets halfway through “insert heartfelt memory here” before realizing, mid-sentence - what’s happening. The entire wedding party is trying not to lose it. Our officiant just sighed and said, “Well, at least you’re honest.” He is now rewriting his vows under supervision like it’s a school detention. The bridesmaids made him a folder titled “FINAL FINAL vows - DO NOT SCREW UP.docx.” If the ceremony goes anything like this rehearsal, I might livestream it for educational purposes. (And yes, I posted the original chaos on r/WeddingJokes — I feel like I owe them an update at this point)

I accidentally went on a date with someone who thought I was their other Tinder match

So, a couple months ago I matched with this girl on Tinder. We had a pretty normal convo, nothing crazy, but eventually she asks me to grab coffee. Chill, right? We meet at this cute local spot, she gives me a quick hug, and right off the bat she says: “Wow, you look even better than your hiking pics!” Problem is… I don’t hike. Like, I don’t even walk briskly. I just nod and laugh it off. We keep talking and she starts referencing stuff that makes zero sense. “Your dog is so cute—what was his name again? Bentley?” I don’t have a dog. Never have. Then she mentions how I told her I used to live in Colorado. Again, not me. I’ve never even been west of Kansas. So now I’m trying to figure out if I have early onset memory loss or if she’s mistaking me for someone else entirely. Finally, mid-latte, I ask, “Hey, just to clarify… what’s my name?” She looks confused. “Jake?” Friends… my name is not Jake. We just stared at each other for a solid five seconds before she burst out laughing. Appare...