Skip to main content

Shroom trips gone bad, maybe ego death? Opinions very much wanted

Thumbnail
Okay so I have had three shroom trips with psilocybin mushrooms and all of them have been very bad experiences but have left me with major insights about myself, (hence why i continued to do them after the first time), Recently i discovered the term "ego death" and am curious if anyone can tell me if thats what I experienced or if anyones experience on psychedelics was similar to mine. Heres what occurred...


Trip #1). The first time I did this me and my friend (we are going to call her A) decided to take 6 grams. Yes I know that this was a bad decision but prior to this i became really fascinated with psychedelic assisted therapy and I CONSTANTLY researched psychedelics AKA curiosity killed the cat. Anyways, after taking this heroic dose I began to feel this onset of anxiety like something wasn't right and I had made a mistake, about 30 minutes after taking these shrooms I began to feel as what I can only describe as being sucked into my own mind and my eyes were forced shut. Every time that I tried to regain control and open my eyes it was like I was overpowered by some other force and my eyes went straight back to being shut, sort of like I was in the back seat of this experience or surrendered to it. I tried to get up and walk around to fight it and wanted to turn on the light to sort of wake me up out of it but genuinely every time i tried to fight for control the shrooms essentially told me "Nope! too late we are doing this". After a very failed attempt to regain control it eventually got too overwhelming that I had to lay down and could not get up, verbalize, open my eyes, etc. During this experience It was genuinely the worst feelings I've ever felt x100 and I was scared out of my mind so my dad woke up, found out, and stayed there to comfort me. I remember continuously asking my dad if A was okay and if she was mad at me (who was having the complete opposite from my experience btw and was now sitting in my brothers room as he was the one who provided the shrooms and had taken them before) and continued to ask if each person I have ever cared about in my life was okay and if they were mad at me, next thing that happened was that I started yelling that I dont want to die, this part is especially strange for me because I have never had a fear of death and have struggled with being suicidal in the past due to the fact that ive viewed death as something rather comforting, My best guess is that I began to think "wow is this what death is because this is awful" and started questioning wether I was going to die or if I was just going insane. When I entered the peak of this trip I entered this state of what I think was detatchment where I became literal nothingness, I remember being aware of this blackness but I was not thinking, seeing, whatever, i simply just was this awareness and it was so so so peaceful compared to the awful feelings I had been experiencing before. After the peak I returned back into my body feeling just fine, I wasnt horrified by the experience, i wasnt scared anymore, I was just in this state of confusion and was lowk experiencing a little bit of euphoria and was just so curious as to what happened to me, Also It became really hard for me to articulate myself or verbalize what I was thinking which I remember finding it very weird that I could not express myself because I actually consider myself quite articulate and basically the complete opposite of "I cant quite find the words". Additionally during that whole experience I never saw any visuals because, like, I was sucked into my own mind but after all of that during the come down I saw spinning mandalas of who I presume is buddha, the mushrooms, and eyeballs just spinning around in the air. After this me and A watched avatar the last Airbender and went to bed, the next morning This massive insight dawned on me where I realized the reason I kept asking if everyone was okay and if they were mad at me was due to the fact that in my childhood I faced immense ostracism from my peers, (I wont go into detail but very very bad traumatic type, I also think was heavily due to the fact I am Audhd) and due to this trauma became a big people pleaser who constantly put others feelings before my own and was always stressed out that I would do something wrong or that there was something inherently wrong with me that would cause all of my friends and people I cared about to eventually discard me. I also realized how self critical I became due to my trauma and how before this experience I always overanalyzed any tiny mistake and would insult myself for it. After coming to this realization it was like I became free from being so ciritcal and constantly ruminating on what I was doing wrong and why I was always the issue. It lowkey feels like the shrooms burned that part of me away or brought it all to the surface to destroy while I was just sitting in the backseat and eventually detached from the very person I am.


In all that was my big first shroom experience and the other ones I have had have all followed the same pattern but each time has been a different major realization of an aspect about my identity that i created due to my trauma and how it was severly holding me back and causing me to suffer, each time leaving me with this feeling that, that part of me "died" during the experience.

If anyone could offer any insight as to what they think this all means or if anyone has had any similar experiences, I would be deeply appreciative over what you all might have to say.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So my wife’s going to a gala tonight — as her client’s “date.”

I’m 44 and my wife is 44. She works on an art advisory committee, so attending galas, events, and client meetings is part of her job. She often meets clients for coffee, lunch, or dinner, and I don’t always know the details and that’s completely normal because it’s part of her work. She’s always professional, transparent about her friendships, and I trust her judgment completely. Recently, she mentioned she’s going to a gala with a friend, S. He’s a wealthy client she met about a year ago, and they became friends professionally. She introduced me to him once, and he seems like a genuinely good person. He invited her as his “date” to this gala, and my wife said it’s fine. I did ask her though, if she’s actually going as a “date,” and she just laughed and said, “Date doesn’t always mean romantic.” She said it’s important for her she could get networking and meet new people. Then she smiled and said, “If I get into this gala next time, I won’t need to take that man with me, I’ll take you...

Update- My fiance’s “vows disaster” just hit rehearsal day & it got worse

For context- my fiance accidentally sent our officiant his draft vows, the one full of placeholders like “insert emotional stuff here” and “make her cry but not ugly cry”? Yeahhh. He promised he fixed them. But he did not. At the rehearsal, the officiant asked if he wanted to do a practice run. My man confidently steps up, opens his phone & starts reading the exact same draft. He gets halfway through “insert heartfelt memory here” before realizing, mid-sentence - what’s happening. The entire wedding party is trying not to lose it. Our officiant just sighed and said, “Well, at least you’re honest.” He is now rewriting his vows under supervision like it’s a school detention. The bridesmaids made him a folder titled “FINAL FINAL vows - DO NOT SCREW UP.docx.” If the ceremony goes anything like this rehearsal, I might livestream it for educational purposes. (And yes, I posted the original chaos on r/WeddingJokes — I feel like I owe them an update at this point)

I accidentally went on a date with someone who thought I was their other Tinder match

So, a couple months ago I matched with this girl on Tinder. We had a pretty normal convo, nothing crazy, but eventually she asks me to grab coffee. Chill, right? We meet at this cute local spot, she gives me a quick hug, and right off the bat she says: “Wow, you look even better than your hiking pics!” Problem is… I don’t hike. Like, I don’t even walk briskly. I just nod and laugh it off. We keep talking and she starts referencing stuff that makes zero sense. “Your dog is so cute—what was his name again? Bentley?” I don’t have a dog. Never have. Then she mentions how I told her I used to live in Colorado. Again, not me. I’ve never even been west of Kansas. So now I’m trying to figure out if I have early onset memory loss or if she’s mistaking me for someone else entirely. Finally, mid-latte, I ask, “Hey, just to clarify… what’s my name?” She looks confused. “Jake?” Friends… my name is not Jake. We just stared at each other for a solid five seconds before she burst out laughing. Appare...