My sister uninvited me from her wedding three weeks before the date. The reason? I might “outshine her”in photos.

Fast forward to three weeks ago. I get a text, not a call, a text, that just says “hey, so, I’ve been thinking, and I don’t think it’s a good idea for you to come to the wedding anymore.”
I thought she was joking. I actually laughed and texted back “lol why.” She said, and I am quoting this exactly because I still have the messages, she said “you know how you are, everyone always says you’re the pretty one, and I don’t want that energy at my wedding, I want it to be about me.”
I want to be really clear here. I didn’t ask to be “the pretty one.” I didn’t do anything at any family event to make it about me. This is a title that other people apparently gave me over the years that I never asked for and never wanted, and now I’m being punished for it at my own sister’s wedding.
I called my mom, thinking she’d back me up. She did not back me up. My mom said, and I quote, “just let her have this one, weddings are stressful, don’t make it a whole thing.” My mom’s advice was for me to just accept getting uninvited from a family event because my sister feels insecure standing next to me.
Here’s where it gets worse. I found out through my aunt, not through my sister, that she still expects me to pay the four hundred dollars I already promised for the flowers. The flowers for the wedding I’m no longer invited to. My sister removed me from the guest list and kept me on the invoice.
I texted her back and said I’d be happy to skip the wedding, but the flower money was off the table now too. She has not responded in five days. My mom has texted me twice telling me to “just pay it to keep the peace.”
I haven’t paid it. I’m not planning to. But now I’m getting group chat messages from cousins I haven’t spoken to in years, all somehow already aware that I’m “causing drama” over flowers, which tells me exactly what story my sister has been telling everyone.
So I guess my question is, am I the villain here for keeping my four hundred dollars, or is my sister the villain for uninviting her own sibling and then sending her an invoice anyway?
Follow for the update, because apparently my sister just found out I’m not paying.
Comments