A few summers ago, my friend Federico texted me saying his family was having a casual BBQ at the park near the lake. I was tired from work but thought, hey, coke, sun, burgers why not? I arrive, and immediately I’m greeted by music, laughter, and the smell of grilled meat. People are tossing frisbees, kids are running around with popsicles, and a golden retriever is chasing its own tail. Someone waves at me and hands me a coke, saying, “Glad you made it, buddy!” I take it, thinking, wow, Federico's family really knows how to treat friends. I start helping flip burgers on the grill, chatting with a man who keeps giving me tips like I’ve done this a hundred times before. An older lady keeps calling me “sweetheart” and asking me about my job. I’m nodding, laughing, and trying to look like I belong everything feels super normal. I even help set up some chairs and hand out napkins. After like 20 minutes, a little girl hands me a plate of food and says, “You’re my favorite new uncle!” I...
Comments